It’s officially the holiday season, and I’m dreaming of New York City, and reminiscing about New York Fashion Week.
Shortly before heading to NYFW, I learned I was expecting my first child. This brought on a world of questions being a first-time mother. Should I go to fashion week? Will I have the energy? Will I feel “like myself”?
My partner, family and friends greatly supported me to take the the trip, and were so encouraging, so I went.
One of the biggest things I found inspiring were all of the women and men in fashion who run successful, growing businesses and careers, and also have families. Victoria Beckham, Rachel Zoe, Miroslava, Duma, Eva Chen, Stella McCartney, Kate Moss and the list goes on. Fashion designers, models, editors, stylists, bloggers (just to name a few) all manage to have a strong sense of family and are very driven in their careers.
Going to NYFW was exactly what I needed to feel like myself. The energy of NYC reminded me that anything is possible, something I’ve aways believed, and one of the big lessons I want to teach my child.
The top 5 things I love about NYC:
1. Its Energy. The city and people are so vibrant and alive.
2. The Food. Although I didn’t get to enjoy much while I was there (more on that in an upcoming post), I love the restaurants in NYC. They have every type of cuisine.
3. Shopping. From boutiques to department stores, I love the NYC shopping.
4. Exploring. I love the adventure of exploring all of neighbourhoods, from little Italy to Chinatown, Brooklyn to Central Park, Soho to East Village, there is always something around the corner.
5. Its Innovation. I find that New York is a place where its perfectly normal, and encouraged, to experiment. Whether it be with your style, business or life, its a place where you can try anything.
Get the Look:
Dress: BCBG Brynna Maxi Dress
Belt, similar: BCBGMAXAZRIA, Braided Faux-Leather Belt, Cognac
Necklace, similar: Katharine Necklace
Sungalsses: Topshop, similar: ILLESTEVA, Leonard round-frame acetate sunglasses
Shoes: Zara, similar: French Connection Isla
Photos by: Jamie Mann Photography, taken at the Empire Hotel Rooftop, NYC